Monday, August 22, 2011

How do you display your child's art?

My kids often come home with pages and pages of artwork - butcher's paper covered in fingerpainting or texta scribbles, abstract pottery and brightly coloured plastic thingies that hang (or do they?). It's a struggle to try to display everything - impossible, in fact. And, let's face it, sometimes you'd rather not. I'm pretty outspoken, however, when my kids produce something that I think is exceptional. And I make sure I display those pieces that I really love. It's a win/win situation - you get to choose which artworks to hang and the kids feel proud of their creation and get a kick out of seeing it on the wall. It's a sign that you are truly impressed by what they have done (flattery will get you everywhere). I'll even put the painting/hanging beside a well-known artist's just to show that their painting is just as special to me.

Sometimes that craft or other project is truly special to your child; and in this case I'll always defer to their wish to put it up somewhere (and try to find a clever way to make that work). If anybody has any great ideas about how they tackle this, please send them through!

I love this butterfly that Lucie painted when she was about 5. She made a comment recently that the butterfly isn't perfectly symmetrical. It made me feel a bit sad that she thought this way because it's one of the things I truly love about this artwork. That, and the colours, the composition and the carefree feeling of it all. I hung it beside an original Chris Dyson oil on canvas, which is another artwork from the eighties that I adore. The Dyson is such an image of its time. I'm always drawn to Lucie's butterfly, however.

I also love this amazing mask that Lucie created a few months ago out of feathers that she found somewhere (I don't really need to know where!!). It's really well constructed - must have taken her ages - and simply striking.

There are many more little nooks and crannies, where we have displayed the littlie's things (some of them behind other stuff ; )). But the truly divine creations take pride of place and give us all much joy. It's a matter of getting creative with what you have been given and genuinely acknowledging when something really is extra special!  

No comments:

Post a Comment